“Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me.” – Mark 9:37
USCCB mandates Churches, schools, and youth organizations must ensure that children and youth who worship, study, or participate in activities sponsored by a parish can do so in the safest and most secure setting possible. Parents and caretakers have the right to ask these institutions if they meet the requirements of the Charter before they allow their children to become involved with them.
An effective safe environment program will have the following components:
- A code of conduct for clergy and for any other paid personnel and volunteers in positions of trust who have regular contact with children and young people.
- Training for all adults who work with children that consists of:
- Signs an adult may see in a child who is abused
- Signs an adult may see in a person who abuses children
- What actions an adult should take when they believe child abuse of any kind may be occurring
- Background check for clergy and for any other paid personnel and volunteers in positions of trust who have regular contact with children and young people
- A training program for children that includes age appropriate materials pertaining to personal safety that conforms to Catholic teachings
- A Safe Environment awareness program for all church members
Mar Thoma Sleeha Cathedral implements Safe Environment program as mandated by USCCB & St. Thomas Syro-Malabar Catholic Diocese of Chicago Child Safety program. All parish members are required to follow & practice the Safe Environment program guidelines. Please refer to Your Role in Creating Safe Environments
All parish volunteers must complete the following requirements:
- Code of Conduct Acknowledgement
- Volunteer Application
- Protecting God’s Children for Adults training
- Background check
As part of Cathedral Safe Environment program, all CCD students will be provided Teaching Safety – Empowering God’s Children training. If you DO NOT WANT your children to receive Safe Environment instructions, please fill out the Training Decline Form For Parents and return it to the CCD office.